Anne Ornish: Let’s re-align our mind and body with this ancient, balanced nostril breathing technique.
Our two nostrils function separately via two different nerve currents, which correlate with the right and left hemispheres of our brains. When there’s equilibrium between these two entities, we feel more balanced.
1. Exhale through both nostrils — clearing any residue.
2. Seal the right nostril, inhale through the left (for a count of 4)
3. Seal the left nostril, exhale through the right (for a count of 4),
4. Keeping the left nostril sealed, inhale through right (for a count of 4),
5. Seal the right nostril, exhale through left, (for a count of 4),
6. Keeping right nostril sealed, inhale through left (for a count of 4),Repeat (for 3 rounds).
Switch nostrils after each inhalation—in other words: Exhale, Inhale, Switch nostrils, Exhale, Inhale, Switch Nostrils — End with an Exhale through your right nostril.
Finally, as you resume your natural easy breathing, notice a sense of inner spaciousness, a re-alignment with your natural, inner symmetry and balance.